Retention is the new fight for bosses as they struggle to manage employee engagement. But what does this look like? Companies like Gallup have been tracking employee engagement for over a decade and say that the clear qualifiers for engagement are:3
- Feeling clear about your role.
- Having the right materials and equipment to do your job.
- Being given the opportunity to do what you do best.
- Having strongly committed co-workers.
- Working with a common mission or purpose.
As an HR recruiter, I talk to people who are considering a new job. And every day, I hear the same thing. They are looking for:
- Collaboration & connection.
- Interesting & fulfilling work.
- Opportunities for growth.
- Nice people.
- Good systems & processes.
Now that sounds a lot like engagement to me.
In my experience, these themes are no different from what people were looking for prior to Covid. Employees aren’t asking for anything new, they just want what they’ve always wanted, and that’s to feel engaged.